May is a great time to come away for a short (or a longer) break in Snowdonia.
Everything will be opening up but it will be quieter - restaurants less busy, easier to get into attractions, mountains quieter and beaches deserted!
Do you just need to escape for a few days?
With school half term holidays not beginning until the end of May this year (due to the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday being in June) there will be fewer families around so the whole month will more tranquil and things will be taken at a slower pace.
Over recent years the weather in May has been some of the best of the Summer. Think about the weather during the first lock down back in 2020. The evenings will be longer, the air warmer and the sea will be beginning to warm up too.
Are you still working from home? We've got internet... take a #Workcation!
Imagine an evening sat on the deck of one of our cabins listening to the cuckoos or the owls. You might even catch sight of a shooting star.
May 6th - 7th is the peak of the Eta Aquarids meteor shower (shooting stars). Apparently there can be about 30 meteors per hour. This meteor shower is produced by dust particles left behind by Halley's comet. The shower runs annually from April 19 to May 28. It peaks this year on the night of May 6 and the morning of the May 7. The moon will set early in the evening, leaving dark skies for what will hopefully be an excellent show. Best viewing will be from a dark location (like ours) after midnight. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Aquarius, but could appear anywhere in the sky.
What's On This Month
These are just some of the events that we've spotted happening in May 2022
This year's line-up includes Stereophonics tribute band The Phonics and Tom Jones tribute Dean Jones. Click title for details
* Turall Traws Individual Fishing League 2022 at Trawsfynydd Lake
will be running (but not to the top in 2022). May is a great time of the year to get a seat on the train. During the Summer seats are often sold out on trains at the most convenient times. AND it'll be easier to park in Llanberis.
* Take a 1 day Landscape Photography Course with Simon Kitchen
The light is fantastic at this time of the year. One of these courses is also a great gift for a keen photographer.
* If you happen to get a wet day why not visit Paniq Rooms escape rooms in Porthmadog
* Want to improve your SUP or other paddlesports skills? Take an SUP or other paddlesports course with Thomo's Outdoor World
* Another great thing to do on a less than perfect day is to go Underground with Corris Mine Explorers More exploring and history than the next suggestion.
* Or, if you're up for it, do Go Below's Ultimate Adventure Mine to Mountain takes you on a staggering 14 HOUR journey from the DEEPEST accessible point in the UK to the HIGHEST point in Wales and England! There are also shorter, less strenuous challenges too.
* May is the month for Bala Lake Railway's 50th birthday celebrations
* Love to shop then visit Dolgellau's Thursday market to buy local produce and crafts
* And Porthmadog Artisan Fair takes place on the last Saturday of the month
* Visit Dolgelau and watch (or take part in) the Cader Idris Race . A great spectacle
* And for something a little faster The Plains Rally takes place in the forests about 40 minutes south of us in May too.
* Mountain biking in Coed y Brenin, Antur Stiniog, Gwydir Forest, Penmachno, Dyfi Trails, Nant yr Arian, One Planet Adventures
* Trail running in Coed y Brenin
Or just come and put your feet up!
In May 2022 we will have 6 cabins available plus Llys Ednowain
There are pet friendly and pet free cabins. All cabins have mountain views. All have a good sized deck.
Hopefully something for everybody!
See our log cabins HERE
See our group accommodation HERE
Got a question? Contact us HERE